Anxiety in our students can have origins in many places. It can be incredibly hard to spot as our students become masters of disguise, but for those lucky enough to be able to see the signs, there’s a lot we can do to help!
Here’s my top 6:
- Acknowledge – talk about the things that cause the fear, it’s real for them.
- Reassure – let them know that’s it’s ok to feel scared, nervous and anxious. Let them know that you know how they feel.
- Explain – explain what anxiety is. Describe what happens to our bodies when anxiety shows up. Allow them to recognise the signs.
- Help – paint a picture of the unknown in the mind of the child. The unpredicatable can be the most daunting thing of all.
- Avoid – never label a child as anxious or shy. Stigma has no place in the world if the child.
- Try – try not to be overprotective or anxious yourself. Model the behaviour you wish to view in your child. ‘It’s ok, I’m here with you.’
The unknown world can cause anxiety in even the most worldly of adults, let alone our youngest citizens. Our task is to bring the unpredictable to the feet of our children, allowing them to explore it in their own time.
‘You can’t force a seed to grow, it will blossom when the conditions are just right.’
#children #parenting #students #parents #mentalhealth #anxiety #mindfulness #depression #motivation #help #Educaton #love #inspiration